Cantonal support

| Cantonal grants | Other cantonal support

ivan-WyexUIm5IkQ-unsplash (1).jpg

Ivan © Unsplash

Cantonal grants

All Swiss cantons have an organisation responsible for awarding study or learning grants.


You should send your application for a cantonal grant to:

  • The canton where you have your primary residence if you are over the age of majority and are financially independent, or
  • The canton where your parents live, or
  • Your canton of origin if your parents live abroad, or
  • The canton to which you have been assigned.

In Vaud canton, the relevant body is the Office cantonal des bourses d’études et d’apprentissage (OCBE).


Please note that students in receipt of a study grant from the canton are not entitled to apply for a partial waiver of course enrolment fees at UNIL, since these are included in the amount of the cantonal grant.


Other cantonal support

The Canton of Vaud can finance part or all of your compulsory health insurance premiums depending on your income and assets. This financial support is called a subsidy. It does not apply to supplementary insurance.

The purpose of the subsidy is to limit the cost of health insurance premiums to 10% of your qualifying income. The qualifying income is an amount calculated on the basis of income and assets. The reference premium is determined on the basis of the average cantonal premium, the household income and the premium region.

For more information, please visit the website of the Canton of Vaud.


Follow us: